What is Excessive Sweating?
Excessive sweating or the medical term Hyperhydrosis is excess underarm sweating. It can really affect people socially, their quality of life and their wardrobe. It is common in both men and women.
Botulinum toxin is FDA approved for the treatment of underarm sweating because it’s safe and very effective.
Botulinum toxin works by temporarily blocking the hormone (acetylcholine) that is responsible for turning on the body’s sweat glands. By blocking this hormone or chemical messenger, botulinum toxin can prevent sweating in the area it is injected into.
This treatment can reduce sweating in the underarm area by up to 80% for both men and women. The results start to become noticeable after 3-4 days and reach full effect at approximately 2 weeks and can last on average 5-6 months, after which time sweating gradually starts to return.
Sweating plays a role in an essential body function for temperature control and detoxification, however localised areas only house a small number of glands. The underarms contains approximately 2% of the body’s sweat glands, therefore temporary cessation of these sweat glands has little effect on the regulation of body temperature.
- The treatment itself takes approx. 20 – 30 minutes.
- The client ideally shaves the area 3-4 days beforehand.
- Should the client be nervous of needles a topical numbing cream may be applied to the armpits for 30 minutes.
- The armpits are cleaned, disinfected and mapped in a grid like pattern and small deposits of botulinum toxin are injected 1-2 cm apart.
- A top up treatment may be required two weeks post treatment, which allows retreatment of any persistent areas of sweating, resulting in better and longer lasting results.
- The treatment costs €550
- Lasts from 6 months
There is little or no downtime/discomfort after the treatment.
After the treatment we advise clients to keep the injected area clean, avoid any strenuous exercise and hot tubs, jacuzzies, saunas, steam rooms and any heat to the area.