Laser Technology at Skin Smart Clinic – The Gentle Max Pro, Candela Medical
Discover your skin’s true beauty with the Gentle Max Pro Laser. This is a dual wavelength laser platform that combines the fastest and most powerful laser for high performance treatment capabilities in terms of speed, efficiency, ease of use, outstanding performance, safety and patient satisfaction. At Skin Smart Clinic we use The Gentle Max Pro Medical Grade laser to solve the problem of ingrown hairs and unwanted hair for both men and women. The Gentle Max Pro is one of the most advanced and effective laser hair removal technologies, giving clients permanent laser hair removal solutions and treating all skin types safely. We also use the DCD cool system for the ultimate patient comfort.
Why choose the Gentle Max Pro Device? Let’s get technical!
- Gentle Max Pro Laser hair removal is safe, effective and fast.
- It has two wavelengths which means it can treat paler and darker skin types safely.
- The Alexandrite 755-nm wavelength has high melanin absorption characteristics and proven long-term results for permanent hair reduction.
- The Nd:YAG 1064-nm wavelength is the safest wavelength for permanent hair reduction on darker skin types.
- The larger spot sizes delivers high fluence ensuring deeper penetration, faster treatment sessions and optimal results.
- The smaller spot sizes ensure that finer hair is targeted too.
- The Gentle Max also has several pulse widths options which means we can change the pulse width to ensure more comfort for the client during a treatment and target the hair.
- The Gentle Max Pro is the only laser with a larger selection of pulse widths on the market.
- The Gentle Max Pro also has numerous spot sizes which are changed during the treatment which ensures the highest standard of hygiene throughout the treatment.
Laser Hair Removal is a non-surgical medical procedure that uses a laser device which emits wavelengths of light to reduce unwanted hair. During a laser hair removal treatment, the probe of the laser is placed onto the area of skin to be treated and a laser beam passes through the probe onto the skin to an individual hair follicle and is absorbed by the pigment in the hair called melanin.
The intense/powerful heat of the laser damages the hair follicle, which reduces future hair growth. It typically takes several laser hair removal treatments to achieve permanent reduction at regular intervals. The laser can be applied to all areas of the body and all types of skin including darker skin types.
A Consultation for Laser Hair Removal is recommended to see if you are a suitable candidate. At Skin Smart Clinic our laser specialists will assess your suitability for laser hair removal treatment. A full consultation and a patch test will be performed on the area prior to your first treatment to ensure that you are suitable. Laser Hair Removal is one of the most effective and advanced procedures for the treatment of excess or unwanted hair.
For your consultation please leave the hair as it is, do not shave, pluck or wax prior to your consultation. This ensures the specialist can assess and determine suitability for treatment.
For your first laser hair removal treatment, the hair must be shaved as short as possible prior to your laser treatment, it is not necessary for the consultation. The body hair must be shaved as short as possible ideally the night before or cut back for the face to ensure optimum absorption of the light into the hair follicle. The shorter the hair the more effective the treatment. You will be given protective eye wear to wear during the treatment. The probe of laser light is applied to the skin and beams of light are emitted. The Gentle Max Pro laser has a cooling spray that is emitted along with the laser. This ensures the skin is kept cool during treatment. Aloe Vera is then applied post treatment and after care is explained.
For laser hair removal, the colour of the hair must be dark and have enough pigment for the laser to work. Black and brown hair is ideal due to the large concentration of melanin in the hair, which gives an optimal absorption. Fair or blonde hair has less melanin and consequently less heat is produced with less certainty of destruction of the hair follicles. Grey or white hair has no melanin and therefore will have little to no reduction. An ideal client is pale skinned with dark hair. However, with the Gentle Max Pro we have the option to use two wavelengths i.e. the Yag wavelength which treats darker skins safely.
Depending on the darkness of the red hair it is sometimes possible to treat, a patch test, consultation and trial treatment would be recommended. For lighter coloured blonde hair, the laser will not be successful.
Yes, the Gentle Max Pro has a dual wavelength laser, so the option to treat a pale and dark skin is available. All clients will be patch tested prior to commencing a treatment to assess suitability for treatment.
It is important NOT to remove hair by epilation, waxing or plucking at least four weeks prior to your laser hair removal treatment i.e. no form of hair removal that removes the hair by taking it out of the follicle before treatment to ensure that as many hair follicles as possible contain a hair. To assess the area and hair at the consultation and before treatment, hair needs to be roughly 1-2mm long. Clients should avoid tanning for at least one month before treatment and throughout the course of the treatment. There should be no false tan on the area. We cannot perform a treatment on a tanned area. After the treatment the skin is more sensitive to UV light and sun exposure of the treated area should be avoided for four weeks post treatment. A sunscreen (SPF 30+) must be used for 1 month after the treatment. We recommend using sunscreen SPF 30 in the winter and sunscreen SPF 50 in the summer. After the treatment you may experience local swelling and mild tenderness. The use of Aloe Vera gel which can be purchased at the clinic is recommended directly after the treatment. A comprehensive after care advice sheet will be given to each client. For 48 hours after the treatment avoid all heat treatments such as some of the following:
- Steam rooms
- Hot baths/showers
- Excessive exercise
- Perfumed creams, soaps & lotions on the treated area
For a full list of precautions see below.
A typical client will only experience minimal discomfort and heat during a treatment. Throughout your treatment you will have cooling spray applied to the area as the laser is being emitted.
Clients can return to work or resume their normal activities immediately following treatment with the exception of exercise and any heat to the area which will be explained thoroughly in the after-care sheet. The area may become slightly swollen and red after treatment and may take a few hours or days to settle down again depending on the area treated and skin sensitivity.
The initial consultation is approximately thirty minutes duration. A laser facial treatment usually takes about fifteen minutes, underarms fifteen minutes, underarm and bikini line thirty minutes, full leg, underarm and bikini line less than an hour, lower legs twenty-thirty minutes, treatment of an entire back takes approximately one hour.
A typical client is recommended between six to eight treatments at regular intervals approximately every six weeks. Hair grows in cycles – Anagen – growing phase, Catagen – resting phase, and Telogen – shedding stage. To achieve permanent reduction the hairs must be in the growing stage for the light energy to reach the hair follicle root. From research, approximately 15% of anagen hairs are in the growing stage at the time of each treatment therefore it is possible to achieve 80% reduction after a course of six treatments. Most clients will top up their treatment to maintain optimum reduction.
Laser hair removal is very different from electrolysis and waxing. Electrolysis is a much slower process the needle has to be inserted into each hair follicle one at a time. In comparison to waxing, the hair needs to be in a certain length before the treatment can be repeated. In some cases, the after effects of waxing can be a disadvantage to the client in grown hairs and skin reaction. Laser hair removal treats larger areas of hair growth in shorter periods of time, the skin feels a lot smoother too! It is less painful, much faster, and more convenient and is proven to reduce in-grown hairs and skin sensitivity.
For our full price list click here.
For a full list of precautions, aftercare and general information on laser hair removal treatment please see below.
Hair Removal Treatment Precautions prior to commencing or during your laser hair removal treatment.
The importance of having pale skin throughout your laser hair removal treatments is very important. This also means that on the day of treatment we want your skin to be totally free from false tanning products, gradual tanners or spray tans.
- The treatment area should be free from artificial or natural tan for your appointment.
- No sunbathing for minimum of 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- No sunbeds for minimum of 6 weeks prior to treatment.
- Gradual tanning products – stop using 2 weeks prior to treatment & exfoliate daily prior to treatment.
- Spray tans if applied must be applied at least 3 weeks prior to treatment and exfoliated daily prior to treatment, any remaining residue you will not be treated.
- Any instant tans or bronzers must be removed 3-4 days prior to treatment.
- The area to be treated must be hair free by means of shaving or cutting with scissors (for the face). Wet shave the night before treatment, and shave as close as possible.
- The face maybe be trimmed back by cutting with a scissors.
- You may shave in between treatments but as little as possible is preferable, do not shave areas where there is little to no hair.
- No tweezing, plucking or epilating or use of hair removal creams as they may interfere with the treatment.
For 4 Weeks Before and After Treatment
- You should avoid exposure to UV light and sun bathing for at least one month before and after treatment.
- You should avoid exposure to sun-beds for six weeks before and after treatment.
- An SPF 50+ should be applied regularly when outside. Pre and Post U.V. exposure can cause pigmentation changes to the skin.
Medication / Medical History
- Any existing medical conditions please inform your laser specialist as it may affect your treatment. Some medications may cause photosensitivity (skin may burn if treated with laser).
- Any changes to medical status your therapist must be informed prior to treatment.
- Any antibiotics or medication taken prior to treatment – please call prior to treatment and advise specialist, as they maybe photosensitive (skin may burn if treated with laser).
- Any new medication or herbal supplements – please inform prior to treatment.
- We may require a Doctors letter to confirm it is safe for you to undergo treatment.
Hair Removal After Care
After the Laser treatment it is common for the area to feel warm. Some localised swelling (lasting up to 2 hrs), redness and tenderness may also be apparent. Occasionally, if an area of severe hair growth was treated some clients may experience localised blemishes. These symptoms may appear immediately or a few days after treatment. The use of 100% Aloe Vera is recommended directly after the treatment and for a few days if necessary.
The importance of having pale skin throughout your course of treatments has been stressed to you. This also means that on the day of treatment we want your skin to be totally free from false tanning products, gradual tanners or spray tans.
It is important that when Laser Treatment has been performed that you follow the recommended after treatment guidelines:
For 4 Weeks After Treatment
- You should avoid exposure to UV light – sun bathing for at least one month before and after treatment.
- Avoid sun beds for 6 weeks before and after treatment.
- An SPF 50 in summer and SPF 30 in winter should be applied regularly when outside. Pre and Post U.V. exposure can cause pigmentation changes to the skin.
For the Next 24-48 Hours
Avoid all heat treatments such as:
- Steam Rooms / saunas
- Hair Dryers
- Hot Baths
- Hot showers
- Excessive exercise
- Turn off direct heater in car on drive home following treatment / patch test
- Sensitive skin: Avoid all perfumed creams, soaps and lotions on the treatment area.
- Do not touch, pick or scratch or rub the area.
- Do not apply any fake tan or gradual tanners to the areas that have been lasered until at least 48 hours post treatment, and if any areas remain red please wait before applying any tanning or perfumed products or exfoliators.
NOTE: If you find the area sensitive, continue the list above for the next week.